Pulled Pork – Boston Butt

0 Flares 0 Flares ×

We’ve been wanting to try pulled pork in the Big Easy Electric Smoker and Roaster (BEESR) since we got it.  So this week we found a Boston Butt at the grocery store.  The one we got was 5.7  pounds.  Here’s what the label looked like:

Boston Butt Label

We kept it in the refrigerator for a few days so it would be good and thawed.

We put some hickory wood chips that we got from the grocery store in the smoker box, turned it on at 15 and waited for it to start smoking (about 15 minutes).

We took the Butt out of the refrigerator, put it on a cookie sheet, and covered it in cheap yellow mustard (CYM).  This helps the rub stick to the Butt.  We then covered the Butt with Famous Dave’s Rib Rub.  This is what it looked like:

Butt With Rub


We put the temperature probe into the thickets part of the Butt, and put it in the basket.  A little of the rub rubbed off while putting it in the basket so we shook a bit more on it while it was in the basket.

Butt In Basket 2

Once the BEESR started smoking good, we put the basket in the BEESR and ran it for 15 minutes on 15.  Then we turned the smoker down to 10 and ran it for 45 minutes.  At this point the Butt was at 99 degrees.

The BEESR had stopped smoking at that point so I took out the smoker box, shook it a bit, and added some more hickory wood chips.  I didn’t empty the ashes or embers out first and by the time I got a few chips into the box it was already smoking again.  Turned the setting down to 8 and added the smoker box back to the BEESR and set the temperature setting to 205.   Some refer to this as the 15-10-8 method developed by Tommy over on the Let’s Talk BBQ forums.

We kept checking it periodically and added wood chips and shook the smoker box whenever the smoke died down.

After cooking at 8 for 4 hours and 5 minutes, it hit 205 degrees.  We took the basket out of the BEESR.

Butt Fully Cooked 2

Now it was time for FTC.  That’s the technique called Foil, Towel, Cooler.  You take the Butt, wrap it in two layers of heavy duty tin-foil, wrap that in a big towel, then put it in a small cooler.  The cooler isn’t to cool things down but to keep the heat in.  It will continue to cook and get better while sitting in the cooler.

We left it in the cooler for 2 hours then took it out to start pulling.  We unwrapped the Butt, put it on a cookie sheet, then took two forks and started pulling it apart.  Once we got it all pulled apart, here’s what it looked like:

Pulled Pork Closeup

Very, very good.  We were a bit worried with the bark until we tasted it.  It was really good too.  Very moist as well.  We were quite happy with the outcome.  Big thanks to Tommy for all the advice leading up to this.

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 0 Flares ×

No Comments

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment

WordPress Themes